Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:29 pm
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: The Brainy Benefits of Chess
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:43 am 
Advanced Member

On Manhattan's Upper East Side, 18 kindergartners are staring at a large vinyl screen at the front of their classroom. But it's not a video they're watching -- it's a chess game. Amazingly for a group of energetic 5-year-olds, the kids sit still and listen raptly as a dapper gentleman with an eastern European accent points at the magnetic pieces on the hanging board, explaining excitedly that "chess is an art, a struggle, a science, a war!"

This is the Dalton School, a private academy in New York City, which has one of the country's first -- and best -- chess programs. Its director, Svetozar Jovanovic, started the program 18 years ago, and today all the school's students begin chess instruction in kindergarten. Those who remain interested after first grade join Dalton's after-school Chess Academy, whose team regularly wins local and national championships.

Barely three miles uptown, a classroom of equally attentive kindergartners is also transfixed by a vinyl chessboard. These are students at P.S. 194, a public school in Harlem. There, Nikki Church, an instructor from Chess-in-the-Schools, a New York City-based nonprofit organization, is greeted with applause at her weekly visit. "Let's put on our chess faces," Church says, helping kids find the calm they'll need to play. The students watch the board, and each time they see a piece captured, they shout, "Splat!" This school, too, has a winning chess team -- the Renaissance Warriors.

What the elite private academy and the inner-city public school both know is that "Chess makes you smart," a slogan of the U.S. Chess Federation (USCF). A growing body of research is showing that chess improves kids' thinking and problem-solving skills as well as their math and reading test scores. Accordingly, communities across the country are racing to create after-school chess programs and start local chess clubs, and some states -- New Jersey, for one -- have written chess into official school curricula.

The USCF has seen the number of scholastic members ages 14 and under soar in the last decade, from just over 3,000 in 1990 to more than 35,000 today. The game's image is changing too: It's going from geeky to groovy, thanks in part to pop-culture icons like rock star Sting and New York Knicks forward Larry Johnson, who boast of their chess prowess in interviews.

Chess Makes the Grade
Schools that encourage chess are reacting to studies like that of New York City-based educational psychologist Stuart Margulies, Ph.D., who in 1996 found that elementary school students in Los Angeles and New York who played chess scored approximately 10 percentage points higher on reading tests than their peers who didn't play. James M. Liptrap, a teacher and chess sponsor at Klein High School in Spring, TX, conducted a similar study in 1997. He found that fifth-graders who played chess scored 4.3 points higher on state reading assessments and 6.4 points higher on math tests than their non-chess-playing peers.

Further proof comes from the doctoral dissertation of Robert Ferguson, executive director of the American Chess School in Bradford, PA. He studied junior-high students, each of whom was enrolled in an activity -- either working with computers, playing chess, taking a creative writing workshop, or playing Dungeons and Dragons -- that was designed to develop critical and creative thinking skills. By the time the students had spent about 60 hours on their chosen activities, the chess players were well ahead of the others in several psychological tests, scoring almost 13 percentage points higher in critical thinking and 35 percentage points higher in creative thinking.

Experts attribute chess players' higher scores to the rigorous workout chess gives the brain. Studies by Dianne Horgan, Ph.D., dean of the graduate school of counseling, educational psychology, and research at the University of Memphis, has found that chess improves a child's visual memory, attention span, and spatial-reasoning ability. And because it requires players to make a series of decisions, each move helps kids learn to plan ahead, evaluate alternatives, and use logic to make sound choices.

Science aside, anecdotal evidence is enough to convince some teachers and parents of chess's benefits -- behavioral as well as cognitive. In 1990, for instance, the principal at Russell Elementary School in Brownsville, TX, had become concerned about some boys who were being dropped off at school early and getting into mischief. But when she visited J. J. Guajardo's fifth-grade classroom one day, she was surprised to see some of those boys quietly engrossed in chess games. So she asked Guajardo to start a before-school chess program. Soon kids from kindergarten through sixth grade had signed up to play, and by 1993 the Russell team was winning state championships.

"We were a public school with a lot of students from low-income families, but we were beating magnet schools with gifted students," says Guajardo, who's now a high school teacher. "And I noticed that every one of our kids who played chess was also passing the state assessment tests in reading, writing, and math."

When to Begin
Not all experts agree on the optimal age for children to start learning to play chess. Some simply say the earlier the better. "I believe the younger the child, the greater the impact," says the American Chess School's Dr. Ferguson, who has taught the game to kindergartners. "These kids have brains like sponges."

While some children will be ready to learn the game by age 4, the consensus among chess teachers seems to be that second grade -- meaning age 7 or 8 -- is the ideal time to start. "I've had mixed results when teaching kindergartners and first-graders, but by second grade, they're all ready," says Tom Brownscombe, scholastic director of the U.S. Chess Federation.

As for gender, most agree that many more boys than girls become interested in the game and continue playing. "I don't think there's any reason for it other than society seems to think chess is a boys' thing," Brownscombe says. "Obviously, females are perfectly capable of competing with males in chess."

Though Jovanovic admits there aren't many girls in Dalton School's chess academy, he says that girls who do play are extremely good. "I have one sixth-grade girl, Katharine Pelletier, who's the highest-rated middle school player in the United States," he says proudly. "She's not intimidated by anybody."

As chess's popularity rises among children, experts who've been involved with chess for years say that more girls are playing -- and winning. "My older daughter, who's now 21, started playing when she was in elementary school, but she quit after a year and a half because there just weren't any other girls doing it," says Susan Breeding, director of instruction for the Dallas Area Chess-in-the-Schools program. "For my younger daughter, who's 10, it's a whole other ball game now."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Brainy Benefits of Chess
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:58 pm 
Advanced Member

If you have seriously decided to give your child a chess education, then you need not only practical experience in a special club. We had several of these in the city. But it is also good to use special training programs. I like to use chess bot to calculate the best chess move options. This practice is good for real matches later. You just need to remember a little)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:41 pm 

That's true...Playing chess is very effective for the brain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:53 pm 

The creator referenced in her post about an item that we can utilize a great deal. Numerous individuals do practices so they can expand their endurance however they can't do as such, yet they don't need to stress any longer, in light of the fact that the essay writng service that the creator referenced in his post we effectively expanded his endurance. can.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:30 am 
Advanced Member

Good morning guys. I'm still a student and I often need to write a lot of assignments on my own, sometimes it drives me crazy as I don't have enough time to relax and sleep as well. That's why I often ask special services to write my essay online because it's the perfect way for me right now. I'm not rich, but these service are quite cheap, so I have the possibility to afford such things on my own. Are you interested in such things? If yes, then go and learn more about them on their website there

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:33 am 
Advanced Member

yeah, I agree with you, this service is really awesome guys

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:39 pm 
Advanced Member

Actually it's cool that we live exactly in this era as we can easily buy such things and just relax! You can even do it anonymosly and it's great

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:08 pm 
Advanced Member

I never thought that I would ever have problems with writing essays, since I didn't write much of them at school, but when I entered the university, the practice of writing essays is very often used there, and I had problems because of this , and I often resorted to the help of friends, but once I was advised this assistance of literature essay writing service https://www.advancedwriters.com/literature-essay.html on it I was able to find a solution to the problem very quickly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:32 am 

Hello to all guys! As a student of an economic institute, I can confidently say that economics is the basis of a successful independent life! Economics is at the same time the most complex subject, but at the same time it is also a very important subject. The fundamentals of economics should be in the head of every person on the planet. But at the same time, we all know how boring economic can be, right? This guys will save your time for sure! This is professionals that will help even the most demanding customer. All those who need to overcome the problem of his homework, recommend you one service essay writing services you are welcome here! This is a very cool service that has been helping schoolboys and students with their homework for a very long time. Thanks a lot for attention! Let the all readers have a great day and good luck and be happy!

Profile E-mail