Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 10:25 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: How long does a disc defragment take on a computer?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:52 am 

I just got home from work,and so far it has been running since 9:30pm last night. It is now 4pm in the afternoon. I have not run a de-fragment on this computer in 5 months or so. Did my computer go into sleep mode?
Thanks in advance everyone. The computer is an HP.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:52 am 

it depends how much files you have on your computer, and it also depends on the last time you defragmented it if it was a long time ago it's going to take a long time but even that shouldn't take more then 3 hours max it prob went into sleep mode or crashed .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:25 am 

Defragging can take a long time in many instances, depending upon how large the disk being checked is, how much file fragmentation exists, and a few other variables. I have heard of instances where a colleague's machine took over 24 hours to defrag. The Windows utility is OK, but I prefer the Defraggler utility from www.piriform.com - this utility is free. I defrag monthly for what it's worth.

Best of luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:58 am 

Defrag times change on every unique PC. It depends on how much space you've got taken up, how long ago your last run was, and how fast your PC specs are, though the latter may be a minor difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:31 am 

wow it should of finished by now ! Does it say any percents of complitation ? Or stop it, restart computer and start again the process (i hate doin that)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:03 am 

Well, the durations depends of many things, the main ones are these:
1º You have a very fragmented disc, specifically if you had installed and desinstalled often during those 5 months;
2º Your pc speed: slow performance because of months without formatting or slow processor with few memory;

I don't thing virus could cause that but in theses days he have to be aware...
These are the main reasons I know but be aware of one thing. Every computer should be formatted within a timeline of 6 months.... your computer certainly have more than that...

I Hope this Helped
Content provided by Yahoo Answers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How long does a disc defragment take on a computer?
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:18 am 
I have recently switched to a fully automatic defrag program (dont know if I can mention names of commercial utilities here) which does not need to be scheduled or run manually. I have set it to run in the real time mode and it defrags even while the PC is being used. Since then whenever I check, the frag levels are almost nil and its doing a non interfering defrag. You could use an alternative program like that and forget about defragmenting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 am 
Robert Z wrote:
I just got home from work,and so far it has been running since 9:30pm last night. It is now 4pm in the afternoon. I have not run a de-fragment on this computer in 5 months or so. Did my computer go into sleep mode?
Thanks in advance everyone. The computer is an HP.

I have heard of defrags taking several days when using the built-in on a large (1.5 TB) hard drive. The built in is really only meant for casual use.

By far, the best thing you can do to speed up your computer is to defragment the hard disk (the disk is the slowest component in any system -- speeding it up will do the absolute most to speed up your PC).

But the best defrag results will come from third party defrag programs as the built-in and many freebies are just too slow (as you have seen here) and you can't use the PC while these are running.

Here is a Top 10 Reviews side-by-side of the best defrag programs around:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-revie ... views.com/

The top placers are all automatic and do a decent job of being unobtrusive. You can get a free trial of these so you can try them out at no cost. The top placer won because it was the only defrag program that operated without draining system resources and the only one that prevents fragmentation.

Check out the review.

Get a free trial of your favorite and let it automatically defrag your disk and keep it performing at its best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:44 am 

The Windows utility is OK, but I prefer the Defraggler utility from

Profile E-mail