Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:19 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: Power Surge killed computer, after format it's still not operating quite right, what can be done?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:19 am 

Two days ago, there was a thunderstorm out here (they are very far and few between in Southern California) and it caused our power in the neighborhood to go out several times. We have cheapo surge protectors so I went ahead and turned off myself and my boyfriend's computers and unplugged them. It was an entire day later so we both had our computers on again, and all of a sudden we had a consecutive 2 or 3 surges run through the house (sunny outside o_O) and all of our electronics flickered (I was in the other room playing on the PS3). His computer completely turned off, however, and when trying to turn it back on, Windows would not boot at all (BIOS would startup and everything would look normal until it tried starting Windows no matter the mode). I recommended against it but his mother went ahead and formatted his hard drive, it was a successful format with no issues but now the computer is slow to boot and even slower to run. He was trying to go through and install all of his necessary drivers (we built these comps so we have to singlehandedly go through every one) but for whatever reason, just trying to recognize the disk drive was so hard that it would time out and freeze up the computer. I don't know exactly what to look for in this situation since all of the hardware is seemingly fine. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Power Surge killed computer, after format it's still not operating quite right, what can be done?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:04 pm 

Since its actually booting now, but running slower I'd say you may have a fried ram stick or memory slot on your motherboard. Easiest way to test for this is if you know how much ram its supposed to have go to windows system properties and see how much ram it says you have. If its lower than it should be try putting the ram in the slots 1 at a time and try booting up. If it won't boot with 1 stick then that stick is bad. Though I've seldom seen rain when I lived in San Diego I refuse to use a computer without a power condom. You can buy a UPC (uninterrupted power supply) for your computer which is a battery backup and surge protector. The good ones even protect coax cable and telephone lines. They'll switch to battery power during power surges for your protection. Hope this helps!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:49 pm 

It sounds like your motherboard is kaput.

Profile E-mail