Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:33 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: Teen Social Expectations?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:42 am 

I'm doing a speech on teen mental health and the causes of these (i.e. the modern day triggers that cause depression and suicide and why so many more teens are committing suicide than ever before), and I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on this kind of thing depending on their age.

for example, an adults opinion on this kind of thing will probably vary to someone in their teens or 20's (i.e. many adults believe we have it easy, but how do the pressures teens face compare to those 30 years ago.)

Take, as a prime example, that i do up to 8 hours of school work a night so i can go to university, where i will leave with a debt larger than what a house loan was 40 years ago.

And even the way teens are manipulated by the media like music and the internet, adding even more social expectations, while the news and newspapers construct us as violent thugs; a representation that applies to very few teenagers, leaving those like me and many others, with no acknowledgment of the hours of work we put in, only to enter a world that sees us as i just stated (a violent, binge-drinking single group, who separate themselves from the rest of society)

anyways, thanks for all who share their opinion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Teen Social Expectations?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:54 am 

I am not sure if this is what you are asking, but.......I think that teens lack someone to talk to. The teens today have possessions, tv's, tivo, Iphone, Ipod, lap tops, they have possessions, but no one to talk to. I think this is why there are so many cutters and suicides these days. They do not have anyone teaching them how to deal with their problems, they don't have anyone who will just listen to them talk. Their parent works to death, they don't appear to have extended family, or even church family. You have to be careful not to tell your secrets to your best friend, because if you have a fight with your best friend, all your secrets are plastered all over the internet on my space or face book. You can't tell your problems to your teachers, or school counselor because they will tell your parents, and if your parents are the problem.......So no one is teaching them how to deal with bullies, or what to do if your boyfriend/girlfriend breaks up with you. What do you do when your parents get divorced or your dog dies. No one is teaching them to deal with their problems, nobody is listening to them, the tv is raising them half the time. It just makes me sad.

Profile E-mail