Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:16 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: I need a topic for my essay?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:18 am 

Hi everyone!

I need to write an essay for music theory. The topic is my choice as long as it fits into the topic of music theory. My teacher's example was how music effects teens.

Do you have any ideas. And if possible, could you explain a little. I'm not asking you to write it, I can do that part. I'm just stuck on a topic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:54 am 

I find that "write about anything in a category" tends actually to be the most difficult topic a teacher can assign. In fact, once I was forced to "write an essay about anything" in an English course, and found myself trying to devise a topic for two hours before I settled on the manipulative qualities of beauty.
Anyhow, in your case, you can take a plethora of different routes. You could go classical, and discuss the origins of a specific type of music (baroque, etc.) or go modern like your teacher has, and ponder the effects modern music has on society and the people within it, and the role of music in the day of an average person's life, or the influence, both psychological and emotional, that music has on people. Or you could go a different route entirely, and discuss technical elements of music theory, such as the importance of rests in pieces of music (I think that's the one I would choose, and discuss how music itself is a combination of sound and silence, and rests ensure an appropriate, if not equal, balance) or the relationship between intervals and how it pertains to songwriting.
The most important thing with coming up with a topic yourself is that if you come up with something or see something you're knowledgeable about, go ahead and write about it. I came up with the manipulative beauty concept immediately, but spent two hours trying to find something better. Basically, if you find an idea you think you can execute well, stop planning and go with it. Best of luck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:30 am 

In writing an essay, it doesn't necessarily needs that it have to perfect and be acceptable by others. As long as your own feelings is expressed it's ok. About the topic, it's better to write what you think you're most knowledgeable at. For example, "Music is my life:How Music affects me and the whole world". Then on this topic write something about different musics around the world.The music genre you specifically adores. How are music affecting the whole world (i.e. emo people, people being a sadist or something like that)

As long as you put your heart into your words, I'm sure your teacher will give you a high remark. BTW, you take my example as my suggested topic

Profile E-mail