Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:09 pm
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: How many Yahoo Answers profiles do you maintain? I only have one, but see many of you who have 8 or
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:46 am 

I know of three profiles that work together, it is the self-same person. They have been reported to the Yahoo Answers Abuse team, and am waiting to see what they will do about it. I recently came across a question he/she posted where he/she answered his/her own question. This is the link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AlGGMk4Vvl49ryBk.80mRdvty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090604071522AAAUGOq&show=7#profile-info-646fa28168be73499b41bddf1fbe0187aa

The question is, "Does anyone know where the Marian Spice Corporation is?"

The answer came 8 minutes later. It was from a user named "Tom":

__________________________________________________________"I found this article on a grocery store in Queens that carries this brand of curry powder, there is a phone # listed at the bottom of article for them...

J&B West Indian and American Grocery in Queens has noni juice at $29.99 for 32 ounces and says it sells OK. They also have Chatak chutney, garam masala etc. from Canada, Marian curry powder at $1.99 for 16 oz, distributed by Marian Spice Corp. in Jackson Heights, Bedessee garam masala in a double bag, wooden spoons and stirrers at $3.99 each, and other wood and aluminum articles. They have no problem getting enough fish at decent prices. Many of their products are bought from the trader, M. Hanif, phone 718-468-5964.

I searched for the company, and they are not listed on web, may be possible they are packaging it under another name or spelling?

Hope this number helps. If you don't have a ethnic grocery in your area, this may be your only option. Good luck."

Hmm. I decided to do a little research because it looked a little funny, not ha-ha but suspicious. I found the same person, "cecej," asking the same question two weeks before. Here is the link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090524152105AAr5DtZ

The answer was word-for-word identically, exactly the same, but from another user, named "Kevin G."

What could and should be done about all these multiple-profile users here on Yahoo Answers? Should we ask Yahoo to set up an accountability program that requires there be only one profile per ISP? Like Google has? Google sends disabling script to your cookies cache to stop you from doing such things, and stops you from even accessing their site until you clear your cookie cache. Hmm? Yahoo? You listening?

Now, I ask you again... How many user profiles do you maintain here on Yahoo Answers? I only have one. You should, too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: How many Yahoo Answers profiles do you maintain? I only have one, but see many of you who have 8 or
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:52 am 

hiya!
i have one!
and that is the way it should be...
too many people having more than one causes the main hardware thing to slow down and crash more often!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:59 am 

I have just one. wow any one with more than one must just be really excited about Y/A.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:05 am 

I only have one, some people are so obsessed about having a high score and have nothing better to do, I only go on for looking up questions other people asked and sometimes answering some because I'm bored.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:12 am 

I have only 1 account =(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:18 am 

ITs really not that big of a deal. I have like 7 other accounts.... but they were suspended. This is my 8th account.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:25 am 

I only have 1. I agree with you. How are we to determine who is making comments or breaking rules when there is more than 1 person attached to that account.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:31 am 

I only maintain one. I have long suspected the people would maintain multiple accounts so they can choose their own answers as the "Best Answer". How else would be have such a high best answer rate when it's clear their answers are no better than the others.

How do you know when 2 profiles are owned by the same person?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:38 am 

I may have 1, I may have 10.... someone else may have 1, may have 10.... but I need to worry about myself, not what others are doing. Sounds like you have to much time on your hands to do so much checking on others. I need to just worry about myself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:45 am 

I have just 1 but I couldn't care less if someone is doing it differently...

You need a new hobby if someones having more than one Y!A account bothers you that much.
Peace

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:51 am 

I have 2 accounts, but I mostly use this one. I have that Yahoo account as a backup but its rarely used. I mostly got it to get a new email for college and work stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:58 am 

It could be a case of Kiasu (afraid to lose out)

But reading your examples, it looks more like advertising to me.

Someone is definitely advertising their merchandise.

For that to be effective, the advertiser would prefer to have several accounts as that will boost the popularity of the product s/he is selling (as in customer feedback)

Live and let live is my philosophy :)

It's no skin of my nose.

Smile :D

*..*

Profile E-mail