Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:08 pm
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: What is the difference between Pentium and Athelon processors?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:47 am 

I want to buy a new computer that will be good for gaming, especially on-line MMORPGs. I want the computer to last a long time. I heard that Athelon is a good gaming processor because it devotes the whole processor to one task, however; I don't know anything about Athelon, or if the guy trying to sell me a computer was just telling me what I want to hear. Is it really a good processor? I've always had Pentium processors and have never been let down by them. Is the Athelon brand just as reliable and powerful? I want to make sure I get the best computer for my money, so it is really important to me to get the best I can afford.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:47 am 

well this one of those conspiracy type of questions, its really up the end user what they are going to use the processor for, im personally a AMD guy, Intel's new processor use new technology and consumes less energy compare to Athalons, but if you dont care about energy consumption then i recommend AMD over intel, i think amd processors are better for gaming, but you have to be careful you cant just buy any AMD chip, you have to do your research cuz each hardware has its on characteristics that makes its unique.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:59 am 

AMD Athlon and Intel Pentium
Short Answer:
Different companies, different products.

Long Answer:
AMD Athlons run at lower clock speeds, but get much more work done on each clock cycle than Intel Pentiums, which run at higher clock speeds but get much less work done per clock. In the end this evens out. What you want to look at is the type of AMD processer. For example, a +4200 AMD proc runs as fast as a 4.2 GHz Intel Processor. Right now, Intel will be cheaper because AMD just realeased their quad core proc. There's no way you need the quad, so go with Intel Core 2 Duo if you can afford it.

BTW, for future reference, 6 months out of the year, intel is better and AMD is better the other 6 months. They both release products to one-up each other as fast as they can, and usually, this leads to better performance and cheaper prices for consumers like us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:11 pm 

Hi!

I wouldn't pick Pentium for gaming. It is an older processor and even when Pentium 4 were the latest one by Intel the were slower than AMD Athlons.

The newer processor model made by Intel is called Core Duo and it has much better performance than Pentium 4 or Pentium D in both games and other applications.

The fastest Core Duo is better than fastest Athlon, but it will cost more. If you pick 2 processors costing about the same they do have about the same performance. It happens because Intel intensively drops down the price and AMD matches the price for same speed chip to stay competitive.

I build computers myself from time to time, and when I need the top speed I go with expensive Intel, but when I need a decent performance for low price I usually can find a better deal with AMD chip.

Another dilemma is whether you should pick high end single core or some dual core CPU. Most games don't know how to use second core, so single core CPU might be little (about 10-15%) faster now. Newer games though are programmed with multiple cores in mind, and that can mean up to 80% advantage over single core. I think it is a safe bet to take dual core - Core Duo or Athlon x2 processors. There is dual core Pentium D, but it is the slowest of dual cores available.

So, my opinion is: if you want to buy the fastest computer go with expensive Intel Core Duo, if you want something medium-priced buy AMD Atlon x2
Content provided by Yahoo Answers.

Profile E-mail