Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:27 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: PS3 sharing Desktop's Internet?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:35 am 

Ok, where to begin?

I am Running an eMachine "EL1200-07w with Vista SP2

2.00 GB of RAM

1.61 Ghz AMD Athlon Processor (2650e)

Everything is stock in the computer except the 500 GB hard drive I put in it long ago.

It has a NIC (Ethernet) and Dial Up connections

But I use a Wireless Adapter, check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Wardriving-Extension-Strongest-Market/dp/B000QYGNKQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I found the proper Driver for it and it works great after I set it up with a Popcorn can that is use like a Dish, but is working better than a Dish. It can hit actual download speeds of 600 KB/s (Kilo Bytes, not bits) and an Upload Speed of 100 KB/s and has a ping of 120ms, which was working great with the PS3.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A few days ago I was really racking my brain for a way to get my PS3 online, and eventually came to the idea to run Ethernet cable from the PC to PS3 and then Bridge that connection with my Wireless Internet Connection, and guess what, IT WORKED.

Problem is, is that it isn't working anymore. It worked for 2 full days.

Last night I turned off the PS3 (After playing a few hours of UT III online) and my monitor automatically switched back over to the VGA connection for my computer. I quickly noticed that it said the internet was not connected, so I tried to connect and it said in the available networks list that I was already connected, after further investigation I found that the IPV 4 and 6 where refusing to connect, even though they where enabled in the adapter options.

So I Unbridged the connections and all was fixed for my PC, but now the PS3 is screwed.

Why did it suddenly not work anymore?

Here is a list of things I have already tried and their outcomes:

Tried Wireless connection in the beginning, but the signal isn't strong enough and I can't move the PS3 any closer to the Router. So I am forced to LAN. The Router is too far away to run a cable. The only reason my PC is fine is because I have a good Wireless USB Adapter that picks up great. I know I can use my PC to do this.

Tried setting my Wireless Connection on my PC to Share it's connection, but it has a problem " An Error Occurred While Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start" (PS3 was on and has Internet Connection Enabled). I have done everything listed by an answerer in this question and it still says that:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Atf7df66tG3242el9a22Sm3sy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080721162912AA4SvL0

Then I wanted to try an Ad-Hoc, but you can only do Wireless Ad-Hoc and the PS3 doesn't show up on the list even with Network Discovery On. This would be easier if there was a Wired Ad-Hoc. Plus I then realized that the Wireless Adapter can't do anything other than share it's connection, it can't be focused on anything other than the connection to the Router because then I wouldn't have an IC.

And Lastly, I decided that maybe I should put a piece of equipment between the PC and PS3 through LAN. So I went and bought a Linksys 5 port "Workgroup Switch" and another Ethernet Cable. Plugged it in and made a connection from the Computer's NIC to the input line on the Switch and then ran the other Ethernet cable from the #1 port to the PS3 and then turned on the PS3. Then tried to see if it could do anything from that point, and NO, just a local connection to my computer.

So then I tried to set the Sharing again and it still says the same thing. SO, then I tried Bridging the connections again, still a no go, my Internet fails when I bridge them.

So, now I am stuck on what to do. I figured I would Post this while and wait on some responses while continuing my Google searches.

Thank you very much for any help, I know it's a long winded one, but I don't ask a question on here unless I just can't find it anywhere else that pertains to my situation.

The Ethernet Cord I already had is a regular one that came with my old Windstream Modem that isn't used anymore.

But the New one I just bought is a CAT5e Networking Cable, I tried it straight to the PS3 from the PC and that didn't work.

I don't have control of the Router, I am paying a neighbor to share, so I can't really go over there asking to mess with the Router, I know it works just fine and is connected correctly, so That part is irrelevant.

Plus the Switch I bought auto detects the whole Cross Over business and incorporates what the cross over cord does on it's own, so you don't need the special cord, but I was forced to buy that wire because it was the only Ethernet wire they had at walmart ($10 !!! 7 Ft)

So the problem with the Topology is that I don't have another Straight through cord.

And finally, The Ad-Hoc isn't working, it does let me create it, but no matter how close I make it to my PS3, the PS3 doesn't recognize it.

More on the Ad-hoc, It comes up in my Available networks and I can connect to it, but that technically doesn't make sense, how can my only wireless adapter connect to itself? Even when I do connect to it it shows no bars.

Next stuff I have just tried:

I just saw on the PS3 that it will only connect to Private Networks, and the LAN connection was Public, but when I switched it it was still just a Local connection and the ICS still isn't working.

I think my main problem to solve is why my Internet connection goes out when I bridge them, I'm going to work on that for a while.

Hate it when people don't allow email.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: PS3 sharing Desktop's Internet?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:35 pm 

In order for you to connect your PC to your PS3 you need to connect using a crossover cable. a cross over cable is a cat5 or cat5e ethernet cable that has some pins switched so you can communicate from host to host in a adhoc network. Some computers and NIC have autonegotiation of crossover and straight-through cable, meaning that the cable doesn't matter. but I am not sure if your NIC or the PS3 support this or not. Straight-through is the normal type of cable. but to be safe use a cross over cable in these situations

Router (WAN interface not the switch interfaces) direct to PC.
Switch to Switch (trunk links)
PC to PC

Basically like devices must connect using a crossover cable.

You may want to try this network topology.

Connect the Router to a port on the switch with an straight-through ethernet cable.
Connect the PS3 to the switch with a straight-through ethernet cable.
Connect the PC to the switch with a straight-through ethernet cable.

Use your Router as a DHCP server for automatic addressing.

If this is not possible then

create an ad-hoc network with your PS3 and PC, and share the internet connection.
Also what you might wanna do is try uninstalling and reinstalling your network hardware and software. This may resolve your software/driver/hardware issues with ICS (internet connection sharing)

Hopefully this helps
Good Luck

Profile E-mail