Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 9:29 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: wireless laptop won't connect to my wireless internet?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:57 am 

my step sister is over here trying to connect her laptop to my wireless internet and she is having no luck. i use windows xp, so i'm not terribly familiar with the vista os she has on her dell laptop.

however, my parents bought a dell notebook with vista and i had no problem connecting it to my wireless connection (which is security enabled, just a simple password). and i've had numerous friends come over with their laptops and they were able to connect just fine when i gave them the password.

hers is showing my internet connection when i open connect to a network option, however, when i go to connect this is what happens:

-it fails to connect and i have the option to diagnose the problem or connect to a different network

-when i click diagnose the problem it says "wireless association failed due to unknown reason

when in the connections menu, i can't right click on my connection to check or adjust a password either. i've been messing with this thing trying to get it to connect but it just won't do.....any ideas?

actually i finally figured it out. all i had to do was unplug my router and cable modem and plug them back in. as simple as that sounds it fixed the problem.

and, yes, she was able to connect to wireless internet from her mother in laws house and internet cafes just fine so i knew that wasn't it.

guess it just goes to show, sometimes the simplest little thing can solve your problem. normally i would have tried cold booting my modem and router, but i overlooked it this time....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:57 am 

install gentoo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:57 pm 

This first part may sound elementary but I always have to start from the beginning.

Most laptops have a "wireless ON" button....has this button been toggled and turned on? Make sure it has because the fact you can't click on the connection in the Connections Menu makes me think the the hardware has not been turned on.

If it continues, I would check with an Ethernet wire to make sure connections work on the laptop. I would also take the laptop to another "hotspot" and try connecting wireless to make sure the wireless is working overall. I don't think its your network if you're friends are able to connect.

Also, you might want to go MS-DOS command prompt and type IPconfig and see what comes up in terms of IP address. If you see all 0's, then you are not connected. If numbers come up...then you are...

Profile E-mail