Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 10:38 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: Photography and schooling, want professional photographers opinions.?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:15 am 

I have been doing lots of photography work for about 3 years now. Just now have I taken it to a professional level and started doing portrait photography for families, children, couples and more. Although I like to do nature photography, I feel like I specialize more in portrait photography. To me, I am rather good with what I do with what little schooling I have had with photography. College is not an option right now, and most likely won't be for a few years due to lack of money. I do, however, take a lot of free online 'classes' and read alot about it. I don't take the classes to learn how to take pictures, I can do that wonderfully with just my talent, I like to learn more about exposure, camera settings, lighting, and other tips and suggestions. My problem is that a lot of people think to be a photographer you have to have schooling and lots of it. I am also fairly young, almost 19. I have the professional equipment that my husband and I bought prior to advertising my work, and I have a lot of experience. I think the pictures and your professionalism should prove it self when I do a person or families shots, but the thing is, I get a lot of people who look past me because of my lack of schooling and age. My prices are extremely cheap, below $100, mostly below $75, and I am confident in my work. What tips would you give me to bring in more customers? I am in the process of learning GIMP and continue reading all about new things with photography. Is there any PROFESSIONAL photographers on here that have made it where they want with out schooling?

I am not going to post any of my work, because I believe every one will have their own opinions and I am already confident with what I do.

Thanks so much to you all!

Alright, I will post some of my work if it is that important.

I charge so cheap because I feel like with my age and lack of schooling I probably can not get what I think my work is worth quite yet.

Here is a post to my blog with most of my work.

http://shoryphotography.blogspot.com/

By the way, what is this "it" you speak of that I am so full of?

http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/shorylovephotography/

So you can enlarge the pictures.

These are just a few of the pictures I have done. I mostly post the ones I get paid for for my clients to see.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: Photography and schooling, want professional photographers opinions.?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:15 pm 

"I am not going to post any of my work, because I believe every one will have their own opinions and I am already confident with what I do."

If you're so confident with your work then 1. Why are you so ridiculously cheap and 2. Why are you too scared to post your work here for us to view? If you're as good as you allege then you wouldn't be another cheapo photographer giving their work away like that and you'd show us what you have.

Personally, by your post I think you're full of it. I don't have a lot of experience yet I won't dare devalue my work or myself by charging so cheaply.

EDIT:

@ Coconut: Clients worth having will see cheap rates and be instantly turned off. They will question why you don't take your work seriously enough to charge better rates. Wal-Mart clients look for cheap rates and don't care. Those types of clients are generally not worth working with. They demand too much yet pay too little.

@ Shory: You have some strong images, some not so strong. Others look too over processed and some are just bland. You have an eye, I'll give you that. There were a few I was quite impressed with but several struck me as ordinary snapshots that I can easily take.

I have a lot to learn and I have a lot of growth to be made in my work but my clients enjoy my work for its simplicity and lack of heavy processing.

Find your style, find your niche and charge accordingly. If you don't value your work then who will? And also, lose the "I am incredibly talented" spiel. Humility goes a long way in this business. Yes, you're young and confident but there's a difference between confident and arrogant. You are bordering on arrogant. Let you work speak for itself and ALWAYS be willing to learn and grow.

If you're not reading photography web sites, magazines, organizations, and networking then start NOW. Let me tell you from experience that by doing these things your work improves dramatically. I joined a local photography community 4 months ago and the growth I have seen and the things I have learned is incredible. It helps...and it keeps your ego in check.

It's not enough to be a good photographer. You need business savvy also and as I said, humility goes a long way. Learn it and fast.

Good luck to you.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:15 pm 

"I am rather good with what I do ""I can do that wonderfully with just my talent,""I am confident in my work"

Nothing like having a high opinion of yourself is there. However that will get you absolutely nowhere if your potential customers don't have the same view.
If your work is so wonderful then it should speak for itself and people would not bother with your age and schooling.
In all my years doing photography I have NEVER once been asked what qualifications or schooling I have.
I don't have any formal qualifications from college or the like. They are unnecessary.

You go on about how great you are and then say,
"I don't take the classes to learn how to take pictures, I can do that wonderfully with just my talent, I like to learn more about exposure, camera settings, lighting, and other tips and suggestions"
Taking pictures IS about exposure, settings, lighting, composition etc."I am not going to post any of my work, because I believe every one will have their own opinions and I am already confident with what I do."

I think each and every one of my pictures is absolutely fantastic. Shame my existing and potential customers don't think that all the time.
It is the customers who decide if your work is good or not, after all it is they not you who is going to be buying it.

To bring in more customers you need to advertise and get recommendations from past customers. There is no easy way to do this.
Running a portrait business is as much (or more) about your business skills than it is about your photography.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:15 pm 

Sounds like me at your age.. making money with my Hasselblad Pro camera. So, Yes you can get along with out the college thing for Photography. Instead find and join your local Pros group. If in the USA look up PPof A . This group is where you want to be to learn at the local level as they will have people come by with weekend teaching and such. You also need to take your pricing UP by 50% right now and in about six months do it again.

Your big step will be a business plan as well. This will take you to your goal faster then anything else.
When you do college, part time will work, business, accounting and marketing should be your track.
Look up The Rangefinder as well.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:15 pm 

sorry, but your photography ain't THAT good... kind of mundane and unimaginative... so much more could have been done...

if i was offered some of those as your best work, i would look elsewhere.. people want something special...

BUT, if you are confident in your own ability, good for you...

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:15 pm 

Its pity sad to hear this,from my experience you needs to keep on taking more photo compare other ppl works with your don't mind about the price since you are still young and not much experience.Gain experience not only from your work but to looks into other photo,study the details the lighting and always try to capture the feel of your client if you are taking portrait.I don't have a diploma in art but still I own a studio at my place doing mostly portrait. Photography is what we want to improve our works everyday,make sure your customer is happy and only you will know to improve your work.If today your works are really good you won't be posting here. Have confident in yourself this is all about ART everybody see it in a difference way.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:15 pm 

Do you have business cards? Pass them out any chance you get. Make up some post cards with some of your best work on it. Go around to the houses and apartments in your area and stick them in the doors. This way you get your work out there without paying for the postage. Vistaprint always have a ton of good deals on paper products like business and post cards. Give a 20 percent discount to new customers. Once you build your client list, then up your prices.

I disagree with the people saying that you are charging too little. In the economy that we are in it?s hard for people to justify spending tons of money of photos. One can not expect to start off charging $200 for a sitting when they haven?t proven themselves yet. It takes time but do what you love, make sure to advertise, and the money will follow.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail