Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 7:19 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: To freelance writers - how did you start? how do you support yourselves?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:18 pm 

Hello, I've just been made redundant from my 9-5 job and think it's about time I started to take steps towards what I really want to do which is becoming a published writer. I have a creative and media writing focused degree some voluntary online experience and great feedbacks from my lecturers at uni on my writing. I also know quite a bit about marketing and SEO copy and I'm a competent web designer. My next step is to start a website advertising myself and I'd appreciate links to any of your websites to see what I should put on it. I'm thinking general profile, contact, portfolio, services offered etc. How did any of you start yourself off? I know I'll have to approach publications myself but I'm thinking a good website is a decent starting point. Also I'm going to have to get another job in the meantime, how do you manage to support yourself when you're starting out? I went from uni into a full time city job and found no time for writing, what jobs do you guys do? Tips welcome! TY

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: To freelance writers - how did you start? how do you support yourselves?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:18 pm 

I tried this in college. I aced all my tests and was at the top of the class. I was pushed by my teacher to enter into a writing contest and got second place in a national contest of 25000 people from all over, only due to the fact that I wouldn't shorten the story.
I started writing short stories for magazines. I wrote on short book then turned to the newspapers, writing editorials.

A hint, have a steady job before you think about writing, it's a very hard place to get into. You have to know the right people, have the money and not get depressed.

Stephen King wrote for many years, over 47 books I think, before he sold one. Think about it.

A hint, write about what you know

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:18 pm 

I agree with cowboydoc, think about it. There is a site TheCitizensJournal.com ( http://www.thecitizensjournal.com ), where you can begin posting articles, get feedback, and build a little portfolio.

Good Luck!

Report this post
 Profile E-mail