Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 10:03 pm
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: How do you decide which parts of the Bible to interpret literally?
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:54 pm 

Why do some Christians interpret Genesis as Creationism and some interpret it as evolution? Inconsistent belief.

E.g Why support evolution and not creationism but support the idea of miracles instead of medicine?

Are the "non-literal" parts of the Bible just sections you don't think describe how you believe?

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: How do you decide which parts of the Bible to interpret literally?
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:54 pm 

Good question. How can two Christians have different interpretations? This has boggled my mind for a long time.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:11 am 

It is impossible and anyone who can claim to know which parts to interpret literally and which parts not, are full of themselves.

One of the reasons I was turned off of the bible was because of the complete and utter difference of the God in the old testament and the new god of the new testament. I don't believe any SANE person can read the old testament and then believe the Jesus story in the new one. Too many laws were changed. Too much slander on the jews in the new one.

It is just terrible.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:28 am 

Here is one of my favorite parts. :) I can feel the love already."And I [the LORD] will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend." - Jeremiah 19:9"Then you shall eat the offspring of your own body, the flesh of your sons and of your daughters whom the LORD your GOD has given you" - Deuteronomy 28:53"And I [the LORD] will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine." - Isaiah 49:26"I [the LORD] told them, 'I won?t be your shepherd any longer. If you die, you die. If you are killed, you are killed. And let those who remain devour each other!'" - Zechariah 11:9

Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother. And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: they shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm." - Isaiah 9:19-20"And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." - Leviticus 26:29"The hands of the pitiful women have boiled their own children; They were their food in the destruction of the daughter of my people." - Lamentations 4:10

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:45 am 

To answer your main question..... "How do I decide....."

There are historical facts presented. I accept them as being literal. Unless facts prove otherwise. (Not theories, nor lack of proof, but facts).

The building blocks of life presented in the bible I accept as literal. eg. treat others as you would want to be treated.

I do not judge the other words of God as being literal, symbolic, prophetic, or otherwise. My belief is God at some point clarify what all His word means......until then I take what is useful in helping me become a better person and leave the rest.

Michelle, a fiercely independent Irish Christian Eschatologist

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:02 am 

Even if it is the Word of God, once you interpret it it is changed, even to read it in what you think is literal it is changed, because your brain interprets it. It is best to commune with God yourself, after all the Creator, Mother/Father God would not leave us without an internal guidance system. We were taught as Catholics we understand nothing without the guidance of the Holy Spirit,and they were not big on reading the Bible, we never had one in 11 years of Catholic school, we were told the stories of Adam and Eve, and Noah's ark, but they were presented as stories. As for the miracles, is not life a miracle to be in awe of? Medecine, is the taking of herbs, parts of herbs, not the way God made them, complete, but the active parts, even poisonous herbs, and using small amounts to change the body, because they can be patented for money. The A M A medical journal in 1996 admitted med sc is the third major killer of people, from drug interactions, etc, yet they don't want us to have our enjoyment drugs, (well I can't really say that because cocaine is brought in by some very prominent people, for money. It's all about money. Nature heals, God heals, it matters what we eat, as to the food we bring in and the thoughts we harbor. It is even true that we get old and die because we think we have to, if you do not count your age, you will stay young. I talked to someone who had been on this earth 500 years. Don't get me going on med sc who after 200 some years of existance, knows it all, and wants to take away herbs and vitamins from us! If you believe in miracles, your life will reflect that! if you wonder why I say med sc because there is a trigger, we are not allowed to say anything negative about the system in place on this, they will delete my answer!
Content provided by Yahoo Answers.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail