Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 8:10 pm
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: Do your eyes subconsciously block online ads and other forms of advertising?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:52 pm 

I know that my eyes do!

On web sites, my brain seems to immediately focus on where there is actual content, and the parts of the screen that have advertising on them literally become visual blobs of "fuzz".

And even when they have those annoying animations (that Yahoo likes to do), where the animation comes out and blocks the content... all I actually see is a mush of noise and my eyes immediately focus on the X to close the window that's generating the mush. Seriously, 2 seconds later, I couldn't even tell you what that mush was.

I guess my brain has just been trained to ignore advertising! It's really weird. And I'm wondering if I'm the only one or if other people are experiencing this too.

I noticed it's happening elsewhere too! I rarely notice billboards any more. In magazines, ads seem like blank pages of scattered color. ANd with DVR, I zoom through and zone out during commercials.

Is this happening with you too? Isn't it an ironic twist of over-advertising?
Consciously blocking would mean that you're actually noticing them, but intentionally making a conscious effort to ignore them. You do see them, but you realize they are an ad and so you choose to ignore them.

By subconsciously blocking them, I mean that your brain is actually replacing the images with "white noise". So you don't even see an ad there. All you see is noise.

I think CrowT has a very cool link with scientific findings in it. Very neat.

But like I said, for me it's like my optic nerve is actually replacing the images themselves. I'm not ignoring what I'm seeing (conscious), I actually don't see the ads (the result of a subconscious editing of my visual field).

I'm wondering what kind of impact this has on my vision overall, though. If my brain actually starts editing what I'm seeing, can that become physically detrimental, as I become oblivious to really important things (like a kid in the roadway, etc.).

Something to think about...

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: Do your eyes subconsciously block online ads and other forms of advertising?

same here. I dont even know why companies pay to get their ads anywhere I dont even look at them

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

hehe, yes it happens all the time...i'm just used to seeing all these ads that I don't pay any attention to them anymore.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

Yes that Internet ad desensitization disorder or IADD. The major manufacturers are seeking a cure as we speak!

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

i have pop up blocker so i dont see adds.....~

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

OK, I'll play! Just how would I know if I subconsciously block anything? Being subconscious means you don't know about it!

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

If it was subconscious, (I assume you mean visual processing in the brain, not the eyes themselves) how would I consciously be aware of it happening?

I use Adblock Plus with Firefox 2.x.
Content provided by Yahoo Answers.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail