Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 5:39 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: I'm writing my own vampire novel and it's going to be hardcore - no sparkling - so tell me, would yo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:33 am 

Complete first chapter posted here. Let me know what you think, what you liked, what I should improve, etc.

Chapter 1

Every few seconds, I pulled my gaze away from Mr. Carson, my drama teacher, to look at the clock on the wall. There were about thirty minutes left in the period, and I was waiting, not to get out of my favorite class, but for Mr. Carson to stop talking about our new project so I could get started on it already.

It was mid-January, the start of a new unit, and our project was to act out a scene from a famous play written sometime in the past. I had no idea what I was going to do yet, but I didn't want to sit through a forty-five minute-long lecture through Drama like I did in all my other classes

«And before I finish and let all you aspiring actors begin your project, I would like?» Mr. Carson paused. His sense of humor was notorious throughout North Providence High School. «Actually, I'm obligated, or I might lose my job.» He waited until a couple of grade-grubbers in the back giggled at the joke before he continued, «So without further ado, I introduce the latest addition to our student body and the class of 2010.»

Latest addition? It was weird that a senior would transfer so late in the year, but weirder things had happened, or so I supposed. Resting both of my feet on the metal rungs underneath my desk, I leaned back in my seat and waited. Might as well see what all this excitement was about.

Mr. Carson read a name off of a slip of paper. «Fletcher Munroe.» He looked up. «Mr. Munroe?» No answer. «Mr. Munroe?» he repeated, as if wondering if the new guy was hard-of-hearing, in which case, drama class wasn't the best option because he would be consistently missing his cues. «Fletcher?» he tried.

By now, three-quarters of all the girls in the class were turning their heads this way and that, trying to spot the new guy. I just rolled my eyes and opened up a copy of As You Like It, practically burying my nose in the play. It figured no one had remembered to show the new guy where the drama class was held.

«Well,» Mr. Carson began in an obviously flustered tone, «I guess he couldn't make it to class today.» Clearing his throat, he changed the subject. «Time to pick your project partners, everyone.»

He had barely finished his sentence when everyone heard the door open. The heads of the girls snapped up and even a couple of the sleepy-looking boys opened their eyes halfway. I glanced up from the play in my hands, the book still held in front of my face.

Judging from the dazzled looks of the girls in the front row and the swaying of the girls in the second, you'd think the guy who stepped into the room was a world-famous celebrity instead of another drama student.

«Sorry I'm late, Mr. Carson,» the guy said in a voice that seemed to be ? this was judging from the cheerleaders' lovesick giggling ? the epitome of masculine vocals. He smiled as he closed the door behind him, and in the light of the classroom I noticed that his short, semi-shaggy hair was dark, not quite black, but close, and there was something about his skin that suggested it was naturally tanned, a light bronze color. His eyes, focused on Mr. Carson, were a deep, dark brown. «I'm Fletcher Munroe,» he introduced himself, extending his hand out.

I looked back down at my play and finished reading the last line before turning the page. I wasn't about to say that Fletcher wasn't attractive, but I had better things to do than crush on a guy just because he looked good in a dark red leather jacket.

«Nice to finally meet you, Fletcher,» Mr. Carson said, shaking his hand. «I was just introducing you to the class when we all realized that you weren't here. As you can see by your schedule, this is drama class. This class isn't an easy A, as some of my best and more hard-working students can tell you, so I hope you like acting.»

«I've been acting for years now,» Fletcher replied, and I didn't need to look up to tell that he was grinning. It was all in his tone. One thing I would say, though, he had excellent projection skills, something I myself was still trying to work on.

«Good, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!» Mr. Carson said, sounding ready to clap Fletcher on the back and bequeath all his possessions to him in his will. «Now, we're starting a new project. You have the option of choosing a scene, from any play of your choice, to act out in front of the class next month.» He turned to the class. «So who will be Mr. Munroe's project partner?»

All the girls' hands shot up instantaneously, the suddenness of it surprising me enough to make me nearly topple out of my seat. After regaining my balance, I returned my gaze to As You Like It. As far as I was concerned, there was no logical reason that the illogical infatuation of every other girl in the room should interrupt my reading.

«Uh...hmm.» Mr. Carson clearly had no idea what to do when so many hands were up. The boys all looked, as they

You can find the rest of this chapter at

http://www.worthyofpublishing.com/chapter.asp?chapter_ID=10086

Okay, two things: One, I've done my research, and one of the biggest myths about vampires is that sunlight is deadly - it does burn them, but it's more like a sunburn, and it only blinds those who are more experienced and have stopped being so sensitive to it. Solution: sunglasses. Plus, the setting is in Providence, Rhode Island - it's not very sunny or very warm there, especially in January.

Two: The name Fletcher is significant to the plot because he's particularly talented at archery and this is important to the conclusion. So unless any of you can give me a name (preferably one that starts with an F, B, or S) that means anything that has to do with weaponry or arrows, I'm stuck with Fletcher.

Okay, I'm just going to add a third thing here: This is NOT going to be Twilight all over again. I'm not a fan of Twilight; this novel is essentially my response to the books.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I'm writing my own vampire novel and it's going to be hardcore - no sparkling - so tell me, would yo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:51 am 

I like it good use of imagery

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:09 am 

I would so read it!I am not into that vampire stuff but this is good!Keep writing!

Would you read mine and rate??
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090515202216AAv34lv
Thx!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:27 am 

Deff. read it! It's REALLY good<33

Makes me want more!

-Livy(:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:45 am 

Yes. I would read it.

Thank gosh there is no bloody sparkling. Vampires do not bloody sparkle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:04 am 

I reckon I could have written it better, (I'm being serious) but I can already tell that the dude is a vampire and the girl is really quiet but for some reason the vampire dude goes for her and not the hot cheerleader types.
Too predictable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 am 

It got cut off a bit at the end, which disappointed me so much!
Haha, it's so good, I wanna read more. >_< !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:40 am 

OMG
And you wrote that!?
Are you going to write more!?
You should really write more. I kinda really want to know what happened next.
Why'd you stop in the first place!? You should have just wrote the whole thing. Sorry, I'm overeacting. That's really good though!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:58 am 

Holy Hippogriff, you really have some talent! However, I strongly recommend that you don't waste it on a human-vampire love story, as if we need more of those. Also, as someone else stated, this piece of writing is very predictable and cliché. You have me Rowling (Harry Potter pun completely intended) my eyes, because you have so much talent, and you are wasting it on an overused plot. Your grammar skills far surpass Stephenie Meyer by a mile. So please, for the sake of literature, write something more unique and creative, like you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:16 am 

A hardcore vampire novel about a vampire wanted by every girl going to high school. Because high school is soooo hardcore, right?

Don't call this teeny novel "hardcore". This is just another spit in the face of true vampire novels.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:34 am 

First, I hope, when you say hardcore, that this isn't going to be another vamp-human romance novel because, that's not hardcore. Not unless he woos her in the effort to drink her blood or turn her against her will.
Second, your character looks well on her way to becoming a mary-sue. It would be more original to create a character who doesn't act the way she thinks. This girl comes off as inwardly and outwardly self righteous and judgmental. You're setting her on a pedestal already and that's just asking for it. People who act and think the same way are rare. So a character that is this way is far too idealized. We all put on some facade or another. We're all actors in some way.That's how we get by in the world. Perhaps she should be outwardly superficial instead. At any rate, you need to set her up for character growth or your story is going to fall flat. To do this you need to her to be flawed in some way. And by this I don't mean ridiculously clumsy and insecure.
So it would be useful to ask yourself some questions before you continue:
Why is the vampire masquerading as a student? Is it necessary to the plot or just a convenient way to bring him into contact with your protagonist. If it's the second then you should reconsider this. It's far too much like the cliche teen romance. Maybe she's out in the woods partying with friends and sees him, but mistakes him for an LSD induced hallucination etc etc.
What is the character flaw and how will she overcome it. What will she have learned by the end of the story. And that should be something a little deeper than "it's okay to love a bloodsucking monster" or "i'm okay just the way I am."
What is the ultimate goal of your story? The discovery and slaying of the vampire?

My point is, If this is going to Twilight with a more vampire-like vampire then don't bother.

If you want this story to be hardcore, you need to step out of the safe teen romance formula.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:52 am 

I like it so far, but hate the name...Fletcher?? EW!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:11 am 

A pretty basic requirement for "hardcore" is "vampires can't function during daylight hours". It just doesn't fit with highschool, I'm afraid.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:29 am 

Ho hum. Yawn. Another overused topic. Can't you devise an original idea?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:47 am 

thats good! i mean really good! better than mine.. read mine! http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090517141239AAVjOpI

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next