Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 pm
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: What are the responsibilities of the landlord to renting me an apt with curry odors?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:54 am 

The previous tenants cooked with curry and this apt I now live in smells strong of curry. I get headaches and must leave leave every day for relief. I use candles, Fabreze, sprays and nothing gets rid of the smell. Should the landlord be responsible to clear the apt of this smell before renting to someone?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: What are the responsibilities of the landlord to renting me an apt with curry odors?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:54 am 

Then you should not have rented. Clean the carpets, wash down the walls and stop trying to mask the odor. You can't prove in court that the odors are not yours

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:19 am 

you knew when you moved in that it smelled like curry. so you signed a lease and agreed to live in the place as is for the entire term of the lease. you can paint the walls and team clean the carpets but you'll have to pay for that yourself. did you not set foot in the place before signing a lease? bad move.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:45 am 

I agree about masking the odor. I have another possible solution that shouldn't cost much. It worked for a friend who had something rotten left in a refrigerator by a former tenant. Smaller space, faster solution, but you have nothing to lose.

Buy a large bag of charcoal briquets and place it out flat in the middle of the room. Use a scissors or knife to cut a large hole down the length of the bag, the hole facing up and away from the floor.

Now, go visit a friend, go to work, or take in a movie and leave for at least 2-3 hours; 8 hours would be better, if you can't manage overnight. By the time you return, it should be better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 am 

Sorry, but when you signed the lease, you accepted the rental unit as-is, unless the lease specifically states that the landlord was responsible for getting rid of the curry smell before move-in.

Find a way to clear the odor yourself; your landlord is not responsible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:37 am 

Curry smell is not considered hazardous in anyway so the landlord is not legally required to do anything about it.

It is a tenant's responsibility to check out a place before they rent. If the smell is that bad then you should have noticed it when you looked at the place. If you failed to look at it that was your mistake.

When you sign a lease & move in you legally accept the place in the given condition. From that day on the landlord is only legally required to fix certain things.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:02 am 

Yes, you're right, he should have called Service Master and had the apartment cleaned out...but he didn't. What you might do is use OZIUM to kill the smell. We used to be able to get it at Walmart. You can get it at some cleaning supplies businesses, but the last we got was over the internet. It leaves no smell and kills the smell you want to get rid of. Good luck.
Content provided by Yahoo Answers.

Profile E-mail