Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:48 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: Avril Lavigne Denies Latest Hit 'Girlfriend' Plagiarizes Pop
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 pm 

Avril Lavigne Denies Latest Hit 'Girlfriend' Plagiarizes Pop-Rock Band's 1978 Hit
By Ray McDonald
Washington
10 July 2007

Avril Lavigne
Avril Lavigne has fired back at two songwriters' claims that she plagiarized their work.

In a lawsuit filed last week, Tommy Dunbar and James Gangwer of the pop-rock band The Rubinoos alleged that Lavigne's single "Girlfriend" closely resembles their 1978 single "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend."

Posting July 6 on her web site, Lavigne wrote that the suit has no merit. "I had never heard this song in my life and their claim is based on five words! All songs share similar lyrics and emotions. As humans we speak one language," she wrote.

Lavigne also wrote she is considering legal action against fellow performer Chantal Kreviazuk, after the Canadian songwriter claimed in Performing Songwriter magazine that Lavigne took an idea from her because a song on her new album shares the same title.

"Let it be crystal clear that I have not ripped anyone off or done anything wrong," posted Lavigne.

The 22-year-old Canadian performer is currently enjoying worldwide success with her third album, The Best Damn Thing.

"I would like to say more but my lawyers have advised me not to," she wrote. "Why is it when you get to a certain level people want to attack you?"
source: http://www.voanews.com