Post subject: Oprah Interviews Whitney Houston's Daughter; Bieber's Mom Si
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:42 pm 

Oprah Interviews Whitney Houston's Daughter; Bieber's Mom Signs Book Deal

Mary Morningstar | Washington

Email
Print
More Sharing Services

Oprah Interviews Whitney Houston's Daughter

On March 11, Oprah Winfrey’s interview with Whitney Houston’s daughter, Bobbi Kristina, was featured on the television program “Oprah’s Next Chapter.” It was the first interview Bobbi Kristina has granted since the death of her mother. Whitney’s sister-in-law, Patricia Houston, and her brother, Gary Houston, also took part in the interview, which aired on OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. In other news, Whitney’s will was filed on March 7 in Atlanta, Georgia. She left her entire fortune to her 19-year-old daughter Bobbi Kristina, including cars, jewelry, furnishings and clothing. Whitney’s money is going into a trust for Bobbi Kristina, who receives a portion at age 21 and 25. The balance will be turned over to her when she turns 30.

Justin Bieber's Mom Signs Book Deal

Justin Bieber
AP
Justin Bieber
Pop star Justin Bieber’s mother, Pattie Mallette, has signed a publishing deal with Revell to write her memoir, Nowhere But Up: The Story of Justin Bieber’s Mom. Due out on September 18, the book will tell the story of her troubled childhood, which included abuse and addiction that led to a suicide attempt during her teenage years. Mallette will also explain how she turned her life around after becoming pregnant with Justin. A portion of the book’s sales will be donated to charity.

Hackers Steal Michael Jackson Music Files

Michael Jackson was a huge success, but he was also a very troubled man
AP
Michael Jackson
Sony Music has confirmed reports that hackers stole more than 50,000 music files, including Michael Jackson’s entire catalog and many unreleased tracks. Britain’s Sunday Times reported that the theft took place in April 2011. Nine months after Jackson’s June 2009 death, his estate signed a $200 million, seven-year contract with Sony that called for 10 projects. The deal gave Sony rights to issue Jackson’s unreleased songs and use his material in video games, advertisements and other profitable ventures.

Garth Brooks Among Country Music Hall of Fame Inductees

Garth Brooks
AP
Garth Brooks
The Country Music Hall of Fame has announced its 2012 inductees. Garth Brooks will be added in the Modern Era Artist category, Connie Smith in the Veterans Era Artist category and Hargus “Pig” Robbins in the Recording and/or Touring Musician Active Prior to 1980 category. Kyle Young, Director of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum said, “The announcement of new inductees into the Country Music Hall of Fame is always a cause for celebration. This year’s class features three artists who revered Country music’s traditions but quickly forged their own paths, taking the genre to new places and, in turn, profoundly influencing the artists who have followed them. Each is a musical paradigm: Connie Smith, the epitome of a vocalist, has used her powerful voice to convey every nuance of love, loss, heartache, and faith on her canon of now-classic recordings; Hargus “Pig” Robbins, the consummate session pianist, has contributed note-perfect stylings to many of American music’s greatest recordings for more than three decades; and Garth Brooks, the prototype of a modern Country superstar, has taken this genre to new venues and new heights, engaging fans with his unparalleled mix of showmanship, theatricality and musical talent, all while never losing sight of Country Music’s roots.”

McCreery to Perform 'Idol' Elimination Song

Scotty McCreery, winner of the 10th season of "American Idol", poses backstage in Los Angeles May 25, 2011.
Reuters
Scotty McCreery
American Idol Season 10 winner Scotty McCreery has been chosen to perform the weekly elimination song for Season 11. He’ll cover Tim McGraw’s 1999 Number One hit, “Please Remember Me.” Scotty says, “It’s always a sad time whenever this song is played, but it’s definitely a really big part of the show. I never had to experience that feeling personally, but I always felt the pain because we became such a close family on the show. …I’m glad they chose me to do it.”

X Factor Auditions Begin

Auditions for the second season of America’s X Factor singing competition will begin on March 14 in Kansas City, Missouri. Additional tryouts are scheduled in Austin, Texas (March 22); San Francisco, California (April 20); Greensboro, North Carolina (May 1) and Providence, Rhode Island (May 10). The show’s creator and judge, Simon Cowell, is currently interviewing celebrities to replace two vacant judging seats. Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger were let go after the inaugural season. Antonio “L.A.” Reid will return to judge the second season.

New Album Releases / March 13:

“Up All Night” by One Direction
“Hell In A Handbasket” by Meat Loaf
“Stories To Tell” by Dave Barnes
“We All Raise Our Voices to the Air” by The Decemberists
“Here We Go” by Peter White
“I Still Believe: #1s Collection” by Jeremy Camp
“Hymns” by Guy Penrod

Musical Events/Festivals/Benefits:

The 2012 South By Southwest (SXSW) Music and Media Conference and Festival gets underway in Austin, Texas on March 13. On March 15, Bruce Springsteen will give the keynote address at the Austin Convention Center. This year’s festival is expected to draw 16,000 industry representatives, 3,000 members of the media and thousands of music fans. Each year, the SXSW Music Festival showcases nearly 2,000 musical acts from around the world, representing some 55 countries, on over 90 stages in downtown Austin.

Star Birthdays

Benji and Joel Madden of the rock band Good Charlotte will celebrate their 33rd birthday on March 11. The twin brothers grew up in Waldorf, Maryland and formed their band in 1996. Good Charlotte’s self-titled debut album was released in 2000. Two years later, they released “The Young & the Hopeless,” which sold three million copies in the U.S. and produced the band’s breakthrough hit, “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.” Joel is married to Nicole Richie, daughter of pop singer Lionel Richie. The couple welcomed daughter Harlow Winter Kate Madden in January 2008. Their son, Sparrow James Midnight Madden, was born in September 2009. Good Charlotte’s latest album, “Cardiology,” was released in 2010.

Entertainer Liza Minnelli will turn 66 on March 12. The multi-talented performer has won every major show business award, including the Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony. One of Minnelli’s most famous performances was her starring role in the 1972 motion picture “Cabaret.” In 2000, she performed the one-woman show “Minnelli On Minnelli,” a tribute to her late father, film director Vincente Minnelli. Angel Records released a CD of the live performance. In 2002, Liza was signed to J Records. Later that same year, the label released “Liza’s Back.” In March of 2002, Liza married producer David Gest. Sixteen months later, the couple separated and filed lawsuits against each other. He claimed that she physically abused him during alcoholic rages. Liza said Gest scammed her out of two-million-dollars. In 2010, Decca Records released Liza’s latest album, “Confessions.” The collection marked her first new studio album in nearly 15 years.

On March 12, pop singer James Taylor will celebrate his 64th birthday. In 1970, he recorded his second solo album “Sweet Baby James,” which produced his first chart single “Fire and Rain.” The following year, Taylor reached the top of the chart with “You’ve Got A Friend.” His other hits included “Mockingbird,” “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” and “Handy Man.” The five-time Grammy winner was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000. Taylor’s latest studio album, “Covers,” features his version of songs made famous by Buddy Holly, The Temptations, Leonard Cohen, George Jones, the Dixie Chicks and Eddie Cochran, among others. In 2010, Taylor and Carole King performed their “Troubadour Reunion” tour in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and North America. Pollstar named the outing the “Most Creative Tour Package” of that year. Last year, President Obama presented Taylor with a National Medal of Arts for his outstanding achievement and support of the arts.

Pop singer-songwriter Neil Sedaka turns 73 on March 13. Sedaka’s Number One singles include “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do,” “Laughter In The Rain” and his 1975 duet with Elton John, “Bad Blood.” Other hits include “Calendar Girl” and “Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen.” In 2007, Razor & Tie Records released “Neil Sedaka: The Definitive Collection” to coincide with his 50th anniversary in music. Neil said his latest album, “The Music of My Life,” is “my best collection of songs in 57 years of songwriting.” He added, “It might be my last set of pop songs, as I feel I cannot top these.”

On March 14, singer and keyboardist Taylor Hanson of the pop trio Hanson will celebrate his 29th birthday. The band also features Taylor’s brothers Isaac and Zachary. Hanson emerged on the music scene in 1997 with the multi-million-selling CD “Middle of Nowhere.” The album produced the Grammy-nominated Number One single “Mmmbop,” as well as three other chart hits. In late 1998, Mercury Records released the pop band’s first concert CD, “Live from Albertane.” Next came “This Time Around” in 2000, 2004’s “Underneath,” and their second live collection “The Best of Hanson: Live and Electric,” which was recorded in Australia and released in 2005. Taylor married Natalie Anne Bryant in 2002. The couple has four children, 9-year-old Jordan, 6-year-old Penelope, 5-year-old River and 3-year-old Viggo. In 2010, Hanson released the album “Shout It Out,” on its own 3CG Records.

Musician and producer Quincy Jones turns 79 on March 14. At age 14, Jones began performing in Seattle’s rhythm-and-blues clubs with Ray Charles. He also played trumpet in Lionel Hampton’s band, but later took more of an executive role in the music industry. Jones has produced numerous hit albums and is the most-nominated artist in Grammy history. He has also composed more than 30 film scores. In addition, Jones produced Michael Jackson’s “Off The Wall,” “Thriller” and “Bad” albums, as well as the all-star 1985 release “We Are The World,” which raised money for African famine relief. In 1995, Jones recorded “Q’s Jook Joint,” the follow-up to his 1989 Grammy-winning album “Back On The Block.” Named after the post-slavery roadhouses, “Q’s Jook Joint” covered various styles of music, from 1940’s big band to 1990’s hip-hop. Jones’ 1999 CD, “From Q With Love,” was a 25-track compilation of his favorite love songs featuring Patti Austin, Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra, James Ingram, and many others. In 2001, Rhino Records compiled “Q: The Musical Biography of Quincy Jones,” a four-CD set spanning his five decades in music. That same year, he received a Kennedy Center Honor. In 2010, Quincy authored the book, “The Complete Quincy Jones: My Journey & Passions.” Quincy’s 2010 tribute album, “Q: Soul Bossa Nostra,” features Akon, Mary J. Blige, Jennifer Hudson, Ludacris and Usher, among others. Also in 2010, Quincy received a National Medal of Arts from President Obama for his outstanding achievements and support of the arts.

Jamaican American rapper will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas will celebrate his 37th birthday on March 15. Before joining the group, will.i.am attended the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. He launched his own clothing line, i.am, in 2005. Two years later, he created the denim line, i.am Antik. The Black Eyed Peas’ first album, “Bridging the Gap,” was released in 2000. In 2003, the group earned its breakthrough hit with the Top 10 single, “Where Is The Love,” which was included on the their second album, “Elephunk.” Since 2005, the Black Eyed Peas have won six Grammy Awards. The group’s 2006 album, “Monkey Business,” sold three million copies in the U.S. Will.i.am has recorded three solo albums and also collaborated on songs by Fergie, Busta Rhymes, Common and the Pussycat Dolls, among others. He recorded a new version of “The Girl Is Mine” with Michael Jackson for Jackson’s “Thriller 25” anniversary album. In 2009, Will.i.am won the Best Urban/Alternative Performance Grammy Award for “Be OK,” a song he recorded with Chrisette Michele for her album “I Am.” The Black Eyed Peas’ 2009 album, “The E.N.D.” produced three Number One singles, “Boom Boom Pow,” “I Gotta Feeling” and “Imma Be.” After performing a tour last year to support their latest album “The Beginning,” the Black Eyed Peas announced they were taking an indefinite hiatus.

Singer-songwriter Jerry Jeff Walker will turn 70 on March 16. Walker is best known for “Mr. Bojangles,” which he recorded in 1968. Two years later, the song became a Top 10 hit for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. In 1980, MCA Records released the 10-song anthology, “The Best of Jerry Jeff Walker.” In 2009, Walker released the new album, “Moon Child,” exclusively on his web site. Every year, he hosts a “Birthday Bash” in Austin, Texas. This year’s event will take place March 31 and April 1.

Look Who's Going On Tour!

On March 16, Country music couple Tim McGraw and Faith Hill will begin a seven-date Australian tour in Adelaide. They’ll perform separate sets and also join each other on stage to sing their hit duets. Last month, Tim released his latest album, “Emotional Traffic.” Faith’s new album, “Illusion,” will be out later this year.
Source: http://www.voanews.com