PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:29 am 

Katy Perry Makes Billboard History; 'Glee Live! 3D' Hits Movie Theaters Soon

Mary Morningstar | Washington

* Email
* Print

Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" album
Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" album

Katy Perry Makes Billboard History

This week, Katy Perry becomes the second artist in the history of Billboard’s Pop Songs chart to take five tracks from a single album to Number One. She achieved the feat with “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.),” the latest hit from her Teenage Dream album. Michael Jackson’s 1987 album, Bad, also produced five chart-topping singles. Perry will set a similar record if “Last Friday Night” reaches Number One on the Hot 100 list. LMFAO spends its fifth week in the top spot on the Hot 100, holding Perry back in the Number 2 position.

Another Country Artist Finds Success on Billboard 200 chart

Eric Church's "Chief" CDEric Church's "Chief" CD

This week, Eric Church becomes the second Country artist in the past month to top the Billboard 200 for the first time in his career. Church’s new album, Chief, sold 145,000 copies its first week of release, which also gave him a Number One debut on the Country Albums chart. Blake Shelton recently earned his first Number One on the Billboard 200 with Red River Blue.

Glee Live! 3D Hits Theaters August 12

The film Glee Live! 3D! will begin a two-week theater run on August 12. The movie, which stars 14 members of the popular television show, was shot during their recent North American tour. Glee creator Ryan Murphy said, “This tour was all about going out and performing for our amazing fans who have supported our show from the beginning, but due to the limited time we had to travel during our hiatus, there were only so many cities we could get to before we had to resume work on the television series. We knew that not every fan who wanted to attend a concert would get that opportunity. Now, thanks to our friends at Twentieth Century Fox Film, we’ll be able to bring the concert experience to movie theaters across the country in full three dimensional glory. We promise every passionate ‘Gleek’ a cinematic experience that will have them singing and dancing in the aisles.”

Winehouse to Appear Posthumously on Bennett's Duets II CD

??? ????????
AP

The last known Amy Winehouse recording will appear on Tony Bennett’s upcoming Duets II album, set to drop on September 20. Their collaboration on the pop classic “Body and Soul” will be released as a charity single. All proceeds will go to a new foundation Amy’s father created in her name to help people struggling with addiction.

Latin Jazz Artists Sue NARAS

Four Latin jazz artists have sued the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS). Ben Lapidus, Mark Levine, Eugene Marlow and Bobby Sanabria filed the lawsuit in New York’s Supreme Court. In it, they claim the elimination of their Grammy Award category will cause “irreparable injury to the members of the Recording Academy.” NARAS President/CEO Neil Portnow said, “It’s unfortunate that resources and time will be spent in this sort of a bureaucratic way rather than in other ways that would be more productive to everybody concerned. The wonderful thing about our awards process is that it’s designed to be a fluid process because it’s an evolutionary art form where music changes.” Last April, Portnow and several members of NARAS held a press conference to announce the elimination of 31 categories. They said all artists would still be eligible to submit recordings for Grammy Award consideration, but they would be grouped into other categories. For instance, Latin jazz recordings would be eligible for nomination in the Best Jazz Instrumental Album or Best Jazz Vocal Album.

Grand Ole Opry to Honor Vince Gill

Country music singer Vince Gill (file photo)
Reuters
Country music singer Vince Gill (file photo)

On August 13, Nashville’s Grand Ole Opry will host a 20th anniversary tribute to Country singer Vince Gill. Among the artists taking part in the event are Martina McBride, Emmylou Harris, John Anderson, The Time Jumpers, and Vince’s wife Amy Grant and his daughter Jenny Gill. Pete Fisher, Vice President and General Manager of the Grand Ole Opry said, “Over the past 20 years, Vince Gill has helped create dozens and dozens of incredible nights of music here at the Opry, welcoming some of his best friends and musical collaborators to the stage, debuting new material, and performing his hits that have since become country classics. He plays the Opry because he loves it, and the Opry family loves him right back. We’re excited to celebrate Vince’s 20 years with us among some of his best friends and biggest fans.”

New Album Releases August 9:

“Sweeter” by Gavin DeGraw
“Now That’s What I Call Music! 39” by various artists
“Tailgates & Tanlines” by Luke Bryan

Awards Presentations / Winners:

Taylor Swift's 'Fearless' CD

On August 7, the 2011 Teen Choice Awards honoring celebrities in film, television, music, sports and fashion were presented in Los Angeles. This year’s musical nominees included LMFAO, Demi Lovato, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Selena Gomez, Jason Derulo, David Guetta, Pitbull, Lil Wayne, Adele, Javier Colon, Wiz Khalifa and Scotty McCreery. During the show, Taylor Swift received the Ultimate Choice Award. The 2011 Teen Choice Awards aired live on FOX-TV.

Look Who's Going on Tour!

DJ White Shadow's "I'm Killing Me" EP DJ White Shadow's "I'm Killing Me" EP

Electronic dance music artist White Shadow will begin his “Identity Festival Tour” on August 11 in Noblesville, Indiana. White Shadow (real name Paul Blair) co-wrote and co-produced nine tracks on Lady Gaga’s Born This Way album. His first EP, “I’m Killing Me,” was released on August 1. “I’m excited to be traveling all over the country, playing the music I love and was raised on,” he says. The tour wraps up on September 10 in George, Washington.
Source: http://www.voanews.com