Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 am
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: What is the most powerful processor that is compatible with my mac G4 Tower?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:20 am 

I have a Mac G4 tower with a 450 MHz PowerPC G4 processor. It has an OS X operating system. I would like to upgrade my processor by as much as possible. What is the most powerful processor that I can put in my mac?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: What is the most powerful processor that is compatible with my mac G4 Tower?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:20 am 

Check out: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ It's a great site with lots of user reports on cpu upgrades on Macs dating back to pre-New-World G3, plus a compatibility database for hard drives etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:44 am 

Are you just in love with this box? You can buy a 1GH processor for it. It will only show about 950MHz in the System Profiler, because the computer can only run the processor at 9.1 times the bus speed (100 MHz). Most of the over-500MHz processors for this board are either G3 or run at 66MHz bus speed, which means you are not really gaining much if anything.

Do you really want to spend a couple hundred bucks to hot-rod this thing? You can buy a PowerMac G5 with dual 2.0GHz 64-bit processor, PCIx slots, Firewire 800, USB 2.0, SATA drive, eSATA internal connector, 1,000Base-T ethernet, SuperDrive (DVD burner) and on and on for less than US$500.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but now you know why there are hundreds of these 400-800MHz PM G4s available for US$99-200.
Content provided by Yahoo Answers.

Profile E-mail