Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 12:06 pm
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: Actor Glover Supports Aristide's Return to Haiti
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:20 pm 

Actor Glover Supports Aristide's Return to Haiti

VOA News March 17, 2011
UNICEF Ambassador and actor Danny Glover laughs during an event in Lima October 20, 2010 (file photo)
Photo: Reuters

UNICEF Ambassador and actor Danny Glover laughs during an event in Lima October 20, 2010 (file photo)
Share This

* Facebook
* Yahoo! Buzz
* Twitter

Related Articles

* Aristide Says His Return is Fulfillment of Haitians' Dreams for Democracy
* Aristide Arrives in Haiti
* Aristide Ends Exile from Haiti
* UN Secretary-General Hoping for Smooth Haiti Elections
* US Urges Haiti’s Aristide to Delay Return

Hollywood actor Danny Glover is the latest celebrity making a push for former Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to return to his homeland.

Glover, who starred in the "Lethal Weapon" movies, is chairman of the U.S.-based human rights group TransAfrica Forum. He flew Thursday to South Africa where Aristide has been living in exile.

Glover wrote on the TransAfrica Forum website the purpose of his trip was to show solidarity with the people of Haiti and help return a leader they twice elected with "overwhelming support."

FILE -- A Jan. 15, 2010 file photo shows former Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide during a press conference in Johannesburg, South Africa
AP
Former Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide during a press conference in Johannesburg, South Africa (file)

Aristide expressed a desire to go back to Haiti after former dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier made a surprise return in January. The United States has urged Aristide to delay his return, warning it could disrupt Sunday's presidential elections.

South Africa's government Thursday said Aristide is free to go whenever he wants. Presidency Minister Collins Chabane said Haitian officials have granted the former Haitian president a passport and that Johannesburg "can't hold him hostage."

Aristide was driven from office by armed rebels in February 2004 and sent into exile. He fled first to the Central African Republic and Jamaica before settling in South Africa.

Washington has strongly supported the current electoral process as critical to Haiti's stability after years of political turmoil and the disastrous January 2010 earthquake. The runoff election pits former first lady Mirlande Manigat against popular entertainer Michel Martelly.

Martelly was initially excluded from the runoff until international observers reviewed the first round results and recommended he advance to the second round instead of the ruling party candidate, Jude Celestin. The observers cited fraud and irregularities in the first round of balloting, which took place in November.

Celestin was later dropped from the runoff. The person who wins the election will succeed outgoing President Rene Preval.

Some information for this report was provided by AP and AFP.

* Email
* Print

Comments (9)
17-03-2011 beth (USA)

Vive Titid!!! (Did Obama really call the President of S. Africa and ask him to delay Aristide???)
17-03-2011 Kim Noreen Anderson (United States)

I am so deeply grateful for the courage and resilience of Danny Glover and Amy Goodman and President Aristide - my prayers are with you
17-03-2011 John W (USA)

This article is incorrect. Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide was kidnapped by a direct order from George W. Bush to allow the wealthy to rob the government of their control on the commodities prices in Haiti as well as other things they wanted to control. The so call rebels that we supplied with arms never got near the capital city. But they did butcher some rural teachers and police officers to give the press a "Story" to explain the kidnapping.
17-03-2011

Unfortunately, I am deeply ashamed to let people know that I am from Haiti. Aristide killed thousand of people and the haitian people have the gut to welcome him back. I would let him return to Haiti only to face justice.
17-03-2011 Katherine

Thank you John for speaking my mind!!! I urge everyone to read Randall Robinson's "Haiti: An Unbroken Agony" to understand what really happened. Whether you like/dislike/agree or disagree with Aristide, the fact of the matter is that he was kidnapped by the forces of the US. The "rebels" is a fictitious group.
17-03-2011 Dave (USA)

yes...bring back the champion of the poor...who became another Dictatorial thug who had his enemies murdered and robbed the Haitian coffers. If you want to believe the guy who constantly railed against the US and France and the like while the whole time secretly begging for funds and support, go right ahead. If they want him, let them have him. Third times a charm, right? Just don't go crying when you get necklaced by his forces.
17-03-2011 Nadine (USA)

Well said Dave, third time is a charm, and we don't want to hear the cries, you will get what you ask for. How can we forget so quickly?
18-03-2011 bibi (usa)

I just want them to come back and face justice. We in America don't agree sometime with some president but they still get to stay in their country and why can't we stay in our country and face justice.
18-03-2011 jacky (usa)

I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE SAYS ABOUT HIM, HIS THE ONLY PRESIDENT WHO DID SOMETHING FOR THE COUNTRY SINCE 1987. WECOME BACK ARISTIDE.
Source: http://www.voanews.com