Chat Place Forum

Forum for general chat. Welcome to chat place forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm
---------->CLICK HERE TO CHAT LIVE NOW<----------

Post subject: True or false on Radio?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:17 am 

true or false??

It is impossible to sell for a station that has low numbers.

The idea behind Optimum Effective Scheduling is to strengthen the impact of advertising purchased.

The position of General Manager is most often filled by promoting the Program Director

Orbiting ads within a time classification is done to minimize the number of different listeners reached.

Advertisers may purchase flights from the radio station.

Howard Stern says that he does not have an obligation to read copy from an advertiser.

The Portable People Meter (PPM) is a pager-size device that records radio audience listening patterns.

The highest rates on a Rate Card are usually for Morning Drive.

The current leader among local market audience surveys is Arbitron.

Radio Stations pay for research because the owners desire to add to the knowledge about the world in which we live.

Radio currently depends on participating spot announcements rather than sustaining program sponsorships.

TV reaches 68% of shoppers within an hour prior to the time they make a purchase.

Purchasing on a Grid can save the advertisers money when station ad revenues go down.

Major rep firms, such as Katz and Interep, serve as an extension of the station?s sales department.

Appearance does not matter for good sales people.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:29 am 

1. False. It is more difficult; however, stations targeting a specific audience, such as sports stations, don't need the numbers as much in order to sell. I sold advertising for 8 years for a Christian station that had no numbers! It CAN be done.

2. I'm not familiar with this term but I'd imagine this is probably true.

3. False. Program directors deal with programming, scheduling and the overall on-air product. General managers deal with FCC rules and regulations, compliance and other ieesues not generally related to on-air unless rules/regulations are involved. the average PD would know very little about dealing with these issues.

4. False. The idea is to maximize the impressions and the call to action.

5. True. Flights generally produce better results than buying just a few ads.

6. Howard kind of does whatever he wants. The right thing to do is to honor the advertiser's requests as much as possible, as a general rule. After all, someone's got to sell something in order for Howard to receive a paycheck.

7. I'm not in a PPM market so I'm not quite sure! The station's signals are encoded so that *hopefully* the results are accurate. I know there have been some recent problems with false diaries, for example. Of course, if the PPM is accurate, and the owners don't like the results, then all of a sudden the PPM method is flawed. They love the PPM when their numbers are good and trash it when they're low!

8. Not always. PM drive quite often has a higher audience total than the morning, contrary to public opinion.

9. True. Althogh there are other companies getting into audience measurement, Arbiton pretty much dominates at this point.

10. False. Their only desire is to do whatever it takes to increase revenue. The desire to serve the listener is not as high up the list as one might think.

11. True for the most part. Stations running brokered programming or Christian stations often depend more on the program sponsorship model more.

12. I don't know enough about TV to respond.

13. I've never sold by a grid system, so I'm not sure. However, I believe that this would most likely be true. I've seen the grid system but it was not feasible for the small daytimer AM station I sold for.

14. True. the reps help bring in regional and national business for a percentage, as a general rule.

15. False. Being a professional means at least looking decent. I sold almost totally via direct mail and phone during the same time I was on the air so it didn't matter as much in my case. I generally wore sharp casual style outfits and that seemed to work just fine.

Great questions!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:41 am 

Sorry way to late @ night to think that much.
ADB

Profile E-mail